|Project title||Democratizing energy markets through the introduction of innovative flexibility-based demand response tools and novel business and market models for energy cooperatives|
|Start date||01/10/2017||End date:||30/09/2020|
|Subprogram||SC3 – Secure, clean & energy efficiency|
FLEXCoop introduces an end-to-end Automated Demand Response Optimization Framework, which aims to enable the realization of novel business models, allowing energy cooperatives to introduce themselves in energy markets under the role of an aggregator. It equips cooperatives with innovative and highly effective tools for the establishment of robust business practices to exploit consumers flexibility as dynamic Virtual Power Plants (VPPs) providing balancing and ancillary resources toward grid stability and alleviation of network constraints.
Flexcoop gives answers to multiple questions emerging from this novel business scenario: Residental Demand-Response:
WP2 – Stakeholders requirements, business model and architecture design
- D2.1 – End-users and Business Requirements
- D2.2 – Regulatory, Market, Socio-economic and Ethical Context Analysis in the Pilot Sites and anticipated (short- and mid-term) evolutions
- D2.3 – Analysis of EU-wide Interoperability Standards and Data Models and Harmonization Requirements
- D2.4 – Emerging Business Models, Associated DR Strategies and Standard Contract Templates – Preliminary Version
- D2.5 – FLEXCoop PMV Methodology Specifications – Preliminary Version
- D2.6 – FLEXCoop Framework Architecture Including Functional, Technical and Communication Specifications
WP3 – Demand flexibility, modelling and forecasting
WP7 – System validation and impact assessment
WP8 – Dissemination and standarisation / policy recommendations
- D8.1 – FLEXCoop branding, website and social media
- D8.4 – FLEXCoop dissemination and communication plan – first version
- D8.6 – FLEXCoop dissemination and communication plan – second version
- D8.9 – Policy and market reform recommendations (Due: March 2020)
- D8.10 – FLEXCoop standardization punch list (Due: March 2020)
This brief webinar-type video explains the main features of the demand response solution developed throughout the FLEXCoop H2020 project and the services it will enable for energy cooperatives and their members.
What’s ‘demand response’?
This webinar-type video is a first introduction to the concept of Demand Response.
What’s ‘Demand response’?
This second video on demand response further explore what are Implicit demand Response and Explicit Demand Response
Optimization in FLEXCoop applies to multiple levels. It spans local generation output, demand and storage flexibility, as well as the flexibility offered by EVs to facilitate maximum RES integration into the grid, avoidance of curtailment and satisfaction of balancing and ancillary grid needs. This is achieved via automated, human-centric demand response schemes with the participation of appropriately selected residential prosumers.
FLEXCoop brings together a wide range of baseline technologies to build an open and interoperable DR optimization framework includes a fully-fledged tool suite for energy cooperatives (aggregators) and prosumers involved in the DR value chain, ensuring:
- End-to-end interoperability between energy networks, energy management systems and devices
- Realization of new business models for energy cooperatives
- Residential energy consumers empowerment and transformation into active market players
To enhance prosumer acceptance, the FLEXCoop innovative services will feature non-intrusiveness, comfort and well-being preservation, non-violation of prosumer daily schedules as well as maximization of benefits through transparent and open participation in markets. It will also guarantee easy switching between DR service providers, vendor lock-in avoidance, customized DR service contracts and objective settlement and remuneration, thus establishing an energy democracy context and empowering prosumers to become active energy market players.
FLEXCoop project is now at the starting point, defining the key objectives and business scenarios examined in the project. The FLEXCoop objectives can be summarised around six main pillars, namely:
- Objective 1: Safeguard distribution grid reliability and the transition to a more fossil-free energy future through explicit automated demand response strategies on the basis of aggregated flexibility utilization.
- Objective 2: Enable intelligence enhancement of Smart Home Systems with the integration of ICT-enabled human-centric DR optimization and the provision of innovative services to prosumers.
- Objective 3: Democratizing energy markets, through the introduction of residential prosumers as active players in energy markets and the transparent sharing of benefits achieved between the stakeholders involved.
- Objective 4: Deliver an open standards-based modular solution that ensures end-to-end interoperability between smart grids, energy management systems and smart home devices and holds a high replication potential around the EU.
- Objective 5: Tackle major market entry barriers for prosumers with the introduction of suitable business models for energy cooperatives.
- Objective 6: Promote the adoption of the FLEXCoop solution as a next-generation demand response optimization framework through intense dissemination and knowledge transfer of the project’s outcomes towards the targeted stakeholders, reaching out to international audiences within and beyond the EU.
This project has received funding from the European Union’s Horizon 2020 research and innovation programme